Wheeling ramps make stairs accessible to cyclists, as they enable them to go up or down staircases without having to physically carry their bike.
Our metal wheeling ramps are a sturdy product, made from 3mm galvanized and powder coated mild steel with a perforated metal non-slip surface. They can be coated in a number of RAL colours, but we recommend coating them in a high viz yellow or a similar bright colour to make them more visible.
The ramps are supplied in 2.3m long sections, which are either cut down to the required length or extended by adding further sections using special connecting pieces. Ramp sections are delivered with a top and/or bottom piece welded on, or as a simple channel to fit between sections with a top/bottom piece.
This ramp type can easily be retro-fitted to an existing set of stairs and moved later if required. A strong profile gives a good grip for the bicycle wheels.
As regular cyclists, we have compiled a list of installation tips and considerations that we have found important:
- It is usually easier to go down a ramp than come up it. As most cyclists prefer to stand to the left of their bike when pushing it, the ramp should be installed on the right hand side of the stairs (when ascending) if possible. If there is sufficient space, two parallel ramps allow the cyclist to choose which side they would like to stand on.
- Wheeling ramps should be situated as far as possible from the side wall or any other obstacles.
- Ramps should be clearly visible to avoid accidents. This can be done by using bright colours or by painting the adjacent floor.
- Ramps should be fixed securely, avoiding any trip hazards.
- Wheeling ramps should provide a good grip, especially when wet. A strong profile as seen in the pictures below is recommended.
- Where possible, wheeling ramps should be separated from pedestrian access with the help of metal railings.
Wheeling Ramps are extremely economic units to install. Quotes are based on your bespoke specification, location and the quantity required.
We do have a stock of wheeling ramps in various sizes available on a short lead time.
For custom orders, the current lead time is 6-8 weeks from receipt of your written purchase order.